Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pope says I don't go to a "real' church. So what?

A coworker who occasionally (I think) tries to irritate me asked me, "Did you hear that you don't really belong to a church?" I said, "Huh?" He then went on to explain what the Pope said. The linked article below explains it in more detail.

Pope: Other Christian Denominations Not True Churches

Frankly, My friend, I don't give a darn.

I kinda like Pope Benedict. But as a Protestant, I don't really care that much about what he says. I also don't understand why some of the mainline denominations are so upset about it.

I was raised as a nominal Catholic. I didn't accept Christ as my Saviour until I was in my late teens. And then I became a Protestant. Protestant-ism was NOT a prerequisite to being saved. I think there are a lot of Protestants that are not saved. I also think there are some Catholics that are saved. I'm just not sure that the Pope is one of them.

The Lord Jesus Christ is the head of the Church and the Gospel is the issue.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."
(John 3:16-21 NKJV)

No comments: